Volume 3, Issue 1, April 2019, Pages: 79-90
Department of Mathematics, Faculty of Mathematical Sciences, University for Development Studies, Navrongo Campus, P. O. Box 24, Navrongo, UE/R, Ghana.
By using some analytical techniques, we establish some properties of the sigmoid function. The properties are in the form of inequalities involving the function. Some of these inequalities connect the sigmoid function to the softplus function.
Sigmoid function, logistic function, softplus function, inequality, MN-convex function
1. G. D. Anderson, M. K. Vamanamurthy and M. Vuorinen Generalized convexity and inequalities, J. Math. Anal. Appl., 335(2007), 1294-1308.
2. A. Baricz Grunbaum-type inequalities for special functions, J. Inequal. Pure Appl. Math., 7(5)(2006), Art. 175, 8 pages.
3. P. Barry Sigmoid functions and exponential Riordan arrays, arXiv:1702.04778v1 [math.CA]
4. K. Basterretxea, J.M. Tarela and I. del Campo Approximation of sigmoid function and the derivative for hardware implementation of artificial neurons, IEE Proceedings - Circuits, Devices and Systems, 151(1)(2004), 18-24.
5. O. Centin, F. Temurtas and S. Gulgonul An application of multilayer neural network on hepatitis disease diagnosis using approximations of sigmoid activation function, Dicle Medical Journal, 42(2)(2015), 150-157.
6. Z. Chen and F. Cao The Approximation Operators with Sigmoidal Functions, Computers and Mathematics with Applications, 58(2009), 758-765.
7. D. W. Coble and Y-J. Lee Use of a generalized Sigmoid Growth Function to predict Site Index for Unmanaged Loblolly and Slash Pine Plantations in East Texas, USDA For. Serv., Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-92, Southern Research Station. Asheville, NC. P. 291-295.
8. B. Cyganek and K. Socha Computationally efficient methods of approximations of the S-shape functions for Image Processing and Computer Graphics Tasks, Image Processing & Communication, 16(1-2)(2012), 19-28.
9. C. Dugas, Y. Bengio, F. Belisle, C. Nadeau, and R. Garcia Incorporating second-order functional knowledge for better option pricing, In Proceedings of NIPS 2001, Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems 14(2001), 472-478.
10. D. Elliott A better activation function for artificial neural networks, The National Science Fondation, Institute for Systems Research, Washington, DC, ISR Technical Rep. TR-6, 1993.
11. U. A. Ezeafulukwe, M. Darus and O. Abidemi On Analytic Properties of a Sigmoid Function, International Journal of Mathematics and Computer Science, 13(2)(2018), 171-178.
12. N. Hassan and N. Akamatsu A New Approache for Contrast Enhancement Using Sigmoid Function, The International Arab Journal of Information Technology, 1(2)(2004), 221-226.
13. T. Jonas Sigmoid functions in reliability based management, Periodica Polytechnica Social and Management Sciences, 15(2)(2007), 67-72.
14. N. Kyurkchiev A family of recurrence generated sigmoidal functions based on the Verhulst logistic function. Some approximation and modelling aspects, Biomath Communications, 3(2)(2016),
15. A. A. Minai and R. D. Williams On the Derivatives of the Sigmoid, Neural Networks, 6(1993), 845-853.
16. K. Nantomah On some properties and inequalities of the sigmoid function, RGMIA Res. Rep. Coll. 21(2018), Art 89, 11pp.
17. I. Pinelis L’hospital type Rules for Monotonicity, with Applications, J. Inequal. Pure Appl. Math., 3(1)(2002), Art. 5, 5pp.
18. B. Ravi and A. V. Laxmi Subadditive and completely monotonic properties of the tricomi confluent hypergeometric functions, International Journal of Advances in Mathematics, 5(2018), 25-33.